Projects / abcde / Comments

Comments for abcde

09 Oct 2003 13:48 bandy

ABCDE rocks!
ABCDE is great software - It Just Works. Kick it off and it does the right thing, fetching track names from CDDB, allowing you to correct errors or select amongst alternate versions. Then it goes off to do the ripping and encoding. Pretty soon it's done. Voila. Just like that. No GUI needed or required. It's a great command-line tool that does one job exceedingly well.

31 Aug 2002 01:32 moquist

flac support??
I've modified _my_ copy of 'abcde' to do flac encoding, and you're welcome to it if you're interested. If not, I hope you're planning that addition yourself, and I'll look forward to it.

Thanks for your work.

(moquist - atsign - css.tayloru.edu)

07 Feb 2002 09:53 rcw

Re: Use lame to write ID3 tags

> If you use LAME to tag encoded mp3's,
> you don't need anymore any external
> program to write ID3 tags and the result
> is equal.

If abcde only used lame, then that would be easy. However, it has to support half a dozen other encoders as well (including versions of lame that don't do tagging), meaning abcde needs quite a bit of logic to verify that it can do that in one step (and not pester you about id3 not being installed).

With that said, it's on my todo list.

06 Feb 2002 06:40 s4nd

Use lame to write ID3 tags
If you use LAME to tag encoded mp3's, you don't need anymore any external program to write ID3 tags and the result is equal.
Btw abcde it's a great script :)
bye
sand

25 Dec 2001 10:08 rcw

Re: Good program

> Only question, anyone know an easy
> name to limit filename length?

Put this sed command in your mungefilename pipe:

sed 's/\([^.]\{28\}\)\?.*\.\([^.]*\)/\1.\2/'

(the 28 limits the filename minus its extension to 28 characters, for a total max length of 32 characters)

25 Dec 2001 09:39 jspectre

Good program
Best one I've found so far (and I looked at a lot!) for easy, automated ripping and encoding. Very flexible customization (something a lot of other programs lacked) allowing me to specify just what arguments I wanted passed on to lame, cdparanoia, etc.

Only question, anyone know an easy name to limit filename length? I'm using my linux box as a server to some Macs and they don't see the files with the longer filenames. :-(

19 Dec 2001 08:41 rcw

Re: id3v2

> Too bad I'm unable to encode mp3 with it without that
> id3v2 thing (which doesn't compile). I don't use v2 tags
> anyway (I think they're stupid, useless, evil) as
> other people do, so there should be a switch or a config
> file option to do v1.1 tagging only.

There is a config option. Put ID3TAGV=1 in your abcde.conf, and it won't even look for id3v2.

P.S. if you'd like help getting id3v2 compiled (hint: you need id3lib first), email me privately. Please note which distribution you're using and include a log of the build errors.

19 Dec 2001 07:14 karellen

id3v2
Too bad I'm unable to encode mp3 with it without that
id3v2 thing (which doesn't compile). I don't use v2 tags
anyway (I think they're stupid, useless, evil) as
other people do, so there should be a switch or a config
file option to do v1.1 tagging only.

Grandmothers against ID3v2 tags.

13 Jul 2001 09:21 michalsz

Excelent
absde is easy 1 2 3. It can't get easier then that!

12 Jan 2000 10:30 rcw