Comments for Astaro Security Gateway

01 Jul 2010 09:12 astaro

Hi peten,
Astaro will release shortly a centrally manged and configured WIFI access point. Please read here for the datasheet with some more details regarding Astaro Wireless Security: http://www.astaro.com/resources/product-information-pdfs

22 Jun 2010 08:03 peten

Can this latest incantation of Astaro use Wireless on it's outside facing port so far non have and it is not worth a thing to me with no Wireless outside

17 Oct 2009 11:29 astaro

Astaro offers a free home use license for their firewall and upgraded it recently to 50 protected IPs.
Details are on the User Bulletin Board: http://www.astaro.org/astaro-gateway-products/general-discussion-feature-requests/28235-free-home-user-upgrade-50ip.html

23 Nov 2007 02:06 Pinocchio_69

very good solution
i was looking for a new Security Solution which has integrated an IDS, Proxies, Content Filtering an Anti-Spam mechanism. I checked and tested a lot of UTM Solutions but i was absolutely surprised that this product (which has quiete a lot of more functionality than i was looking for..) has integrated the globale Players from the market (Surf Control, Utimaco, Snort, ..)for a very cheap price in an easy to manage Product.

I hope they will go ahead this way in the future..

25 Feb 2007 05:59 astaro

Re: looks very nice

> Is there a trial period???

Yes: 30 days, everything enabled, no limitations

After that period, you can request a free home use license at https://my.astaro.com - also everything enabled, but restricted for 10 users.

> Before I try

> this can anyone tell me if this is free

> to use and no limitation even with 50

> hosts?

15 Feb 2007 20:59 packets

Re: looks very nice
Is there a trial period??? Before I try this can anyone tell me if this is free to use and no limitation even with 50 hosts?

20 Feb 2005 20:32 zenman

Astaro is excellent
There is a lot of misconception in regards to security due to security vendors and their marketing.

The truth is, there is no magic pill in regards to securing your network. You don't just install Product X into your rack cabinet and your network is "secured". Behind all the marketing of security companies, real security comes from the sysadmin who has to enforce the security policy. As someone who does IT security for a living, what Astaro has done is put together a comprehensive security toolset buit from OSS that is EASY to admin and enforce the policy. There is no wonder they were awarded PC Magazine's Best Product of the Year for Business Security Solution. I've recommended the product to my colleagues in IT security and they all love Astaro.

If anything, Astaro should be considered a Linux/OSS success story, and I would recommend it to anyone.

25 Feb 2004 15:14 ronnerich

The new V5 beta (4.720) is very hot....
Hey guys...
the beta of V5 (4.720) is very cool.
Congradulations to the developer and the other guys who make it possible to take out such a product ;-).
To all critics (like jeff2000uka ) let me say....
"Install it, use it and understand it". If you reached this three points, you can adjudicate if it bad that Astaro started wit Version 1.7 !

I look forward for the stable V5.

regards
ronnerich

08 Feb 2003 06:44 astaro

Re: PPTP Sessions with Astaro

> I know nothing about Astaro and are
> looking for a product to replace a MS
> PPTP server.
> Will Astaro support split tunnelling
> with PPTP?

> That is, Microsoft clients connecting to
> a MS VPN server can surf the net locally
> while directing tunnel traffic thru the
> VPN if they do not check 'Use default
> gateway on remote network'.
> Unfortunately, MS VPN server does some
> non-standard routing to make this
> happen. If you do not check the 'use g/w
> on remote, all traffic goes through the
> PPTP tunnel. Will Astaro permit split
> tunnelling using MS PPTP clients?

> Does Astaro have any capabilities for
> PPTP clients to authenticate against a
> Radius server ?

For more answers please visit our
user bulletin board: http://www.astaro.org

04 Feb 2003 08:52 eia568b

PPTP Sessions with Astaro
I know nothing about Astaro and are looking for a product to replace a MS PPTP server.

Will Astaro support split tunnelling with PPTP?

That is, Microsoft clients connecting to a MS VPN server can surf the net locally while directing tunnel traffic thru the VPN if they do not check 'Use default gateway on remote network'. Unfortunately, MS VPN server does some non-standard routing to make this happen. If you do not check the 'use g/w on remote, all traffic goes through the PPTP tunnel. Will Astaro permit split tunnelling using MS PPTP clients?

Does Astaro have any capabilities for PPTP clients to authenticate against a Radius server ?