Projects / Dada Mail / Comments

Comments for Dada Mail

07 Jul 2009 19:45 leaddadaist

@pabs3, every bit of code in Dada Mail is released under the GPL and available to download, via the github repo's:

This includes all the extensions and plugins that also accompany Dada Mail.

There is a distro called, "Pro Dada" which has small changes to its config, but mostly is about the Dada Mail Manual, which is a downloadable manual for the program, which you do have to pay for.

If you could, please get your facts straight, before posting such an immature comment. Thanks!

23 Mar 2009 07:32 pabs3

Ewww, GPL-payware.

28 Oct 2006 13:32 darkelder

Name change
Dada Mail is formerly known as Mojo Mail

08 May 2005 04:15 leaddadaist

Re: Very nice
Check out dada_bridge.pl - which is a replacement for dada_send.pl - there is no limitation of the name of the email address used to send mail to - it's as arbitrary as an email address itself can be :)

Cheers,

Justin

04 Jan 2005 12:49 leaddadaist

Re: Very nice

> 1) Although this is mailing list There is, however, an

> extension that can be used for this

> (dada_send.pl), but little work has been

> put into it.

> 2) For the dada_send.pl extension, you

> are highly limited by what you can use

> for the lists' email addresses. Only 16

> characters and alpha-numeric at that.

Actually all work on dada_send.pl has been stopped. In it's place is at the moment, dada_bridge.pl:

Which can set the mailing list email address to what ever you would like.

04 Jan 2005 12:10 sankeld

Very nice
Dada mail is quick to set up, easy to administer, and really nice looking. I especially like the idea of getting rid of the whole idea of mail controlled systems.

A few gotchas that I found with this package.

1) Although this is mailing list software, it doesn't come, by default, with reply functionality. The only way to post to a list is to use the web interface. There is, however, an extension that can be used for this (dada_send.pl), but little work has been put into it.

2) For the dada_send.pl extension, you are highly limited by what you can use for the lists' email addresses. Only 16 characters and alpha-numeric at that. So your software-announce list won't work because of the '-' and the length. This is unfortunate since the convention for mailing lists uses dashes to denote subsections and get quite large in length.

Overall, if this software works for you, you're in good hands. The unfortunate mailing-list name limitations will keep the rest of us shopping.

09 Nov 2001 01:01 baohx

Re: cron job?

> Hi, a kinda-newbie here...trying to set
> up mojo for a sendmail environment.
> I've seen in places that I need a cron
> job to allow the script to work
> correctly, but I don't know what to
> actually do. If you have an example of
> setting mojo_send for sendmail from
> someone, can you please post it, or mail
> it to me?

Figured out the cron thing, but I don't want mojo_send to send a mail to the mailing list email...I want it only to send to the people on the list. How can I change the script to do this?

08 Nov 2001 18:27 baohx

cron job?
Hi, a kinda-newbie here...trying to set up mojo for a sendmail environment. I've seen in places that I need a cron job to allow the script to work correctly, but I don't know what to actually do. If you have an example of setting mojo_send for sendmail from someone, can you please post it, or mail it to me?

17 Sep 2001 13:30 epretorious

Re: Questions/Suggestions
Thanks!

05 Sep 2001 01:56 leaddadaist

Re: Questions/Suggestions

> I've cruised MM's home and it looks
> really slick.

I'm all about style. or... styyyyyyyyle.

> 1. Is it possible for subscribers to
> confirm subscription
> requests via e-mail?

naw, 2 reasons, (1 I HATE email interfaces and (2 why
reinvent the wheel? I think majordomo does a fine job
with email itnerfaces - if that's what you want. Mojo
uses an html link that's individual to each subscriber.

I've had lists that are handled BOTH by majordomo and
mojo, I just symlinked the two lists together and bam!
you then have a email interface and a web-based
interface. not too shabby.

> 2. Can archives be ordered by
> different criteria? e.g.,
> ...by thread, by author, by date?
> 3. Can the message fields (From:,
> To:, Subject:, etc.) be displayed in
> archived messages?

naw, just by posting order... and reverse posting order,
again - why reinvent the wheel? Monarch does a super
job with that, I don't want to waste precious time
redoing stuff, i realy like girls.

> 4. Can Mojo Mail be configured to work
> with
> MHonArc?

yeah, just make Monharch a subscriber and away you
go!

> 5. Does Mojo Mail handle bounced
> messages?

naw, i'm working on that right now, prolly going to
swipe some code form the majordomo2 project for the
deed. talk about a major pain to do!

I would use mojo if you don't have access to
majordomo, it takes a different, fresh perspective on
the whole thing, it's more of a web-based application
than a Mailing List Manager. oh, but it can send mail