Projects / Dovecot / Comments

Comments for Dovecot

09 Jun 2005 02:18 richdougherty

Re: Reliability

I am assuming you are using procmail to
get your e-mail into Maildir/ folders.

Email is stored in mbox format, but thanks for the tip.

20 Mar 2005 14:25 apollyon

Re: Reliability
I am assuming you are using procmail to get your e-mail into Maildir/ folders. If so, this is probably where you are getting the corrupt indexes. If you have $HOME/Maildir/new in your .procmailrc file, change it to $HOME/Maildir/. The trailing '/' tells procmail to expect a Maildir format folder. This should eliminate the corrupt index alerts. Basically with your current configuration you are using MH style messages and not Maildir. `man procmailrc` for more information.

05 Dec 2004 18:05 apollyon

Thank you!
I have been using courier-imap for the past 3 years and I must say I have not been impressed with it. It is difficult to set up out of the box. This software package took me all of 5 minutes to compile, install and configure - and it WORKS! I love the extensive variety of configuration options. Thank you.

22 Sep 2003 04:22 richdougherty

Re: Reliability
I run Dovecot on a usermode Linux instance with very little memory. Occasionally the system will run out of memory and kill Dovecot. It seems to handle this very well. I see error messages in the log about corrupt indexes, but it keeps on working.

25 Feb 2003 14:25 aaaaaa

Re: Reliability

Just clarifying: By reliability I especially mean the index files. Often programs that use binary database files don't allow any kind of problems in it, or it crashes. If they got corrupted, you have to run some special fsck to fix it, or even recreate it manually and maybe lose some information.

Dovecot trusts index files very little. It tries to check every possible error condition in them, if anything is found the error is logged and the indexes will be automatically rebuilt. Indexes don't contain any unique information so rebuilding them won't lose anything.

Also, if Dovecot can't use indexes for any reason (eg. quota full), it can work without them. Then it just builds the them in memory.

28 Jul 2002 21:20 aaaaaa

Re: Reliability

Maybe it's just me, but I've always
thought of reliability as a major
component of security. If you've got
great security but your server crashes
every three days, then what good is the
security?

Well, yes, I wouldn't consider a crashy software very secure. Especially if it crashes randomly. Besides meaning crashes with the "reliability", I also mean that it functions properly in all cases, even if you have tons of IMAP clients accessing and modifying the same mailbox, or even in case of (system) crashes while indexes were just in the middle of being written to.

28 Jul 2002 21:08 wonko

Reliability
Maybe it's just me, but I've always thought of reliability as a major component of security. If you've got great security but your server crashes every three days, then what good is the security?