Projects / GNU C library / Comments

Comments for GNU C library

18 Mar 2003 22:35 drizuid

Compilation problems
When it first came out, I tried to use it for my LFS system I was working on, I've actually had alot of problems with it. I disabled sanity checking because it thought my cpp was broken, then it just dies towards the end of compilation with errors, when i went back to 2.3.1 everything worked fine. All the packages required were installed with the latest updates, and the latest 2.5.x kernel.. strange that it works with 2.3.1 and not 2.3.2. I hope this is fixed soon.

15 Mar 2003 10:22 bradx

Interesting release announcement
The GNU C Library for the HURD, and on yeah, that Linux thing?

Am I reading subtle hostility here or is it just me?

You'd figure that open projects wouldn't subtly embattle each other this way, in a logical world. One wouldn't assume it makes any sense for propaganda by means of subtlety to work its way into something this major.

You learn something new every day.

13 Oct 2002 09:38 rverlander

Upgrading from 2.1.3 to 2.3?
Anyone got any links on upgrading from glibc 2.1.3 to 2.3? I want to upgrade my Red Hat Linux 6.2 system to 2.3 as the 2.1.3 it comes with is very old.

28 Aug 2001 13:31 nutbar

Re: Check Failing Part 2

> Glibc 2.1.3 compiles fine but when i do
> a 'make check' it exits with an error at
> the stdlib test. I don't know if I
> should continue with the installation.
> On one case, I skipped the test the went
> right with the installation and it said
> it couldn't find the file libc.so.6. I
> checked the FAQs but couldn't seem to
> find any light on this matter. Any
> thing i stupidly missed?

Not sure what to do exactly for your problem, but here's what I had to do when going from 2.1.3 to 2.2.3 to get around some make check/install problems...

Problem 1) make check failed testing my passwd/group files. Apparently you MUST have finger info (user:id:gid:...:i have no legs:... <- the 'i have no legs' stuff) for all users.
Problem 2) make check failed on glob test. Must have at least bash 2.0.5 to fix that.
Problem 3) make install failed half way during install with 'make' erroring out because it couldn't find ld-linux.so.6 or whatever. Seems make install forgot to run ldconfig at one point (so run ldconfig to fix that).
Problem 4) make install bombs out during the FINAL perl check on your libs to check for unresolved internal links. Seems like lib-compat has 2 unresolved links in it. Either ignore this error, as stuff works ok, or edit the perl check script to ignore lib-compat along with a couple other libs it knows about.

28 Aug 2001 13:24 nutbar

Re: Check Failing

> I've had no trouble installing all the
> nessary versions of everything (egcs,
> binutils, etc) and the compliled and
> installed fine. Glibc 2.1 complies fine
> but when I "make check" it stopes at the
> glob test in the postix directory. Any
> know what would cause this?

Yes, you probably have an earlier version of bash (pre 2.0.5? I think is the latest version). If you upgrade to the latest bash, globbing is fixed.

22 May 2000 14:32 valman

Check Failing Part 2
Glibc 2.1.3 compiles fine but when i do a 'make check' it exits with an error at the stdlib test. I don't know if I should continue with the installation. On one case, I skipped the test the went right with the installation and it said it couldn't find the file libc.so.6. I checked the FAQs but couldn't seem to find any light on this matter. Any thing i stupidly missed?

24 Mar 2000 23:03 geoffman

What happened to Locale - GLIBC-2.1.3
I have just built and installed Glibc-2.1.3, and it went without a hitch. But now I am informed that my C library does not support Locales any more, what happened to them?

12 Jun 1999 06:55 blacksnow

Outside US
i got glibc-2.1.1 and the glibc-linuxthreads-2.1.tar.gz
from the ftp.gnu.org, but unable to get the crypt
would somebody put it on ftp.funet.fi

12 Feb 1999 22:11 landrye

glibc-2.1.0 removed
glibc-2.1.0 seems to have been removed from ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/glibc/ (ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/glibc/) (see URL: ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/glibc/glibc-2.1-README (ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/glibc/glibc-2.1-README))

It also still seems to be available from URL: ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/gnu/funet/ (ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/gnu/funet/)

10 Feb 1999 00:58 sandymacjr

Check Failing
I've had no trouble installing all the nessary versions of everything (egcs, binutils, etc) and the compliled and installed fine. Glibc 2.1 complies fine but when I "make check" it stopes at the glob test in the postix directory. Any know what would cause this?