Projects / GTK+ / Comments

Comments for GTK+

08 Oct 2012 14:30 Romster

You only now on 6th of October release an announcement for GTK 2.24.13 that was released on 23rd of September. Could you please be a little quicker on the announcements, 4 weeks and 2 days later is not acceptable.

06 May 2010 07:37 paroberts

Hi,

I've spent hours on this and can't seem to search out the right answer. I'd like to install the latest version of WireShark on CentOS 5.4 and I've cleared all the other hurdles (like having devel packages installed) to get GTK+-2.8.20 compiled. It seems the only remaining obstacle is that the WireShark ./configure refuses to believe that GTK+ >= 2.4.0 is installed. The GTK+ compile, make, make install all went smooth with no errors so I believe it is there. Here is the error:

checking for pkg-config... /usr/bin/pkg-config
checking for GTK+ - version >= 2.4.0... no
*** Could not run GTK+ test program, checking why...
*** The test program failed to compile or link. See the file config.log for the
*** exact error that occured. This usually means GTK+ is incorrectly installed.
configure: error: GTK+ 2.4 or later isn't available, so Wireshark can't be compiled

So...GTK+ 2.8 is installed, I've tried throwing different paths in /etc/ld.so.conf and the configure variables, etc. with no luck.

Can someone tell me what I'm missing? I looked for a 'devel' package for GTK+ but it didn't look like there was one.

Thanks for any help!

01 Dec 2006 10:29 tdowd

Re: ARgh...
>>our problem probably still has to do with the /usr vs /usr/
local/ business. you might want to install gtk (et.al.) with
'configure --prefix=/usr'

i've been trying to install GImageViewer on Suse 10.1 for
more than a day now... this advice was all I needed. Thank
you so much!

10 Mar 2004 06:05 muppet

Re: Where is gtk-config?

> What wrong? Where is gtk-config?

gtk-config was part of gtk+-1.x. gtk+-2.x uses pkg-
config instead. if your app wants gtk-config, it wants
gtk+-1.x and its devel packages.

07 Feb 2004 00:14 unsynchronous

Re: Can't get programs to recognize GTK+-1.2.0

> Hi Rob, you seem to know what you're
> doing so I'm hoping you can help me out.
> I've installed gtk+-2.2.4 from source
> and removed my old gtk-config
> beforehand, but now I can't find
> gtk-config anywhere on my system. Have
> I done something wrong? I used all the
> default options when installing
> i.e ./configure
> make
> su
> make install
> and gtk was installed in /usr/local
> no sign of gtk-config though!
> I'm tearing my hair out over this one!
> (I'm trying to get gimp2.0pre2 installed
> without much success!)

the directions above are outdated wrt gtk2.0
which now uses pkg-config (a generalization of gtk-config). you therefore don't need to mess with
the gtk-config stuff.

your problem probably still has to do with the /usr vs /usr/local/ business. you might want to install gtk (et.al.) with 'configure --prefix=/usr' or you might want to mess with your pkg-config path...perhaps 'export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$PKG_CONFIG_PATH:/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig'

good luck.

05 Feb 2004 14:09 dhracer

Re: Can't get programs to recognize GTK+-1.2.0
Hi Rob, you seem to know what you're doing so I'm hoping you can help me out. I've installed gtk+-2.2.4 from source and removed my old gtk-config beforehand, but now I can't find gtk-config anywhere on my system. Have I done something wrong? I used all the default options when installing
i.e ./configure
make
su
make install

and gtk was installed in /usr/local

no sign of gtk-config though!

I'm tearing my hair out over this one! (I'm trying to get gimp2.0pre2 installed without much success!)

> % I resently d/l the Enlightenment WM
> % v0.15.5 and I wanted the e-conf
> program,
> % but it needs gnome-libs so i d/l that
> % when I tried to compile it, it said
> that
> % i needed gtk+-1.2.0, which i have.
> It
> % gave me an error about the libraries
> not
> % matching the header files. Headers=
> % v1.0.2 and Libraries=v1.2.0
> %
> % What should I do to resolve the
> % problem?
> %
> % Thanks
> a couple of things :
> the tarballs generally install to
> /usr/local/
> whereas (for example) redhat installs
> stuff under
> /usr. configure is probably still
> looking at the
> one in /usr.
> to fix this: rm /usr/bin/gtk-config
> make sure /usr/local/bin
> is on your
> path
> and /usr/local/lib is in
> /etc/ld.so.conf
> before running configure you should be
> able to
> type `gtk-config --version` and it
> should return
> with the version number you just
> installed.
> alternately, you can reinstall the gtk
> pacakges
> and glib under /usr by doing
> 'configure --prefix=/usr' but you have
> to
> remember to do that for all the pacakges
> and it
> seems like most packages want to go
> under /usr/local/.
> hope it helps
> rob

16 Nov 2003 10:58 AndrewGuly

Where is gtk-config?
I have installed (from sources) GTK-2.2.4 in /usr/local/lib/gtk-2.0, but some programs can't find it. For exemple, while configuring XMMS:
checking for gtk-config... (cached) /usr/local/lib/gtk-2.0/bin/gtk-config
checking for GTK - version >= 1.2.2... ./configure: /usr/local/lib/gtk-2.0/bin/gtk-config: No such file or directory
./configure: /usr/local/lib/gtk-2.0/bin/gtk-config: No such file or directory
./configure: /usr/local/lib/gtk-2.0/bin/gtk-config: No such file or directory
./configure: /usr/local/lib/gtk-2.0/bin/gtk-config: No such file or directory
./configure: /usr/local/lib/gtk-2.0/bin/gtk-config: No such file or directory
*** Could not run GTK test program, checking why...
*** The test program failed to compile or link. See the file config.log for the
*** exact error that occured. This usually means GTK was incorrectly installed
*** or that you have moved GTK since it was installed. In the latter case, you
*** may want to edit the gtk-config script: /usr/local/lib/gtk-2.0/bin/gtk-config
configure: error: *** GTK+ >= 1.2.2 not installed - please install first ***

What wrong? Where is gtk-config?
Sorry, if my English scare you...

09 Dec 2002 20:49 chaoticthought

Accessing menubar from keyboard
One thing I can't stand about GTK is that there is no apparant way to access the menubar (e.g. File Edit etc) if the programmer has not included shortcuts for this. (e.g. LinNeighborhood, VMWare, Everybuddy)

In Qt and Windows, this has always been possible. Tapping Alt opens the menubar no matter what in these GUI toolkits.

14 May 2002 22:23 Zak0

Win32?
What happened to the Win32 port of GTK+ ?? I was hoping to start development on a cross-platform application for Win32 and Linux using GTK+ for my GUI toolkit. But, I can't find a place to download the Win32 port ANYWHERE (www.gimp.org/win32 has been down for days). Anyone have a copy of it?

11 Mar 2002 15:27 samboy

The web page is up again
OK, the gtk.org web page is up again, and there is a GTK 2.0 out there, which I am sure has decent UTF-8 support.

I will be downloading this version of GTK shortly.

- Sam