Projects / INSERT / Comments

Comments for INSERT

12 Feb 2007 13:32 sloncho

USB key boot
Hi, I tried with the latest version ( 1.3.8a) to create a bootable USB key. The key was created OK, but I have problems booting.

It opens the grub prompt, it loads the initrd, etc. but after the USB device scan it reports:

"Can't find Insert filesystem, sorry".

I tried at least on 5 different machines, and it is always the same.

How do I fix this?

26 Dec 2006 11:14 Blottom

LCD Problem
I am trying to run this but my LCD monitor keeps giving me the message..cannot display this video mode..any ideas. I am very new to this.

10 Dec 2006 12:36 Danestpo

Antivirus
I don't know how to get the antivirus in INSERT to work. It seems the explorer included does not see my HDD. I have read instructions but still don't know what to do to make it see my drives.

Please give detailed instructions for I am not very familiar with this technology.

Thank you.

05 Dec 2006 03:35 HLekin

trouble with insert homedir
I installed 1.3.8a on the 2nd partion of a flash drive using grub as boot manager. Insert homedir does not work as expected:

Installing on a FAT partition creates insert.img. Loading it gives two error messages: (1) insert.img is probably an old version of 'INSERT persistent home'. You should create a new one soon. (2) Cannot create union system from old insert.img home only format, sorry.

Installing on a fresh ext2 partition copies /home 1:1; no insert.sh is created(?!). This persistent home can't be accessed at all, neither myconf=/dev/sdb1 nor home=scan works.

Is this due to limited understanding or is it a system fault?

INSERT is a very good rescue live-system; lots of thanks.

Regards, H.L.

27 Sep 2006 09:53 fargo2

needs update!
This is good but outdated. I hope developer can release an updated version soon.

05 Sep 2006 14:05 thomaslc

Re: PXELinux

> % Hi!

> % I'm also interested in getting the

> % details for PXE booting DSL. Please

> % me an email too.

> %

> Sorry, I mean PXE booting INSERT.

If anyone that asked for the details on how to do this has that information would you be willing to post it here? I'm curious if/how it differs from what I did.

I mimicked Matthias Mikuletz's work on pxe booting DSL http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/talk/node/248

which amounted to my adding a few lines to linuxrc in INSERT's miniroot.gz and repackaging miniroot with the INSERT cloop image in the directory miniroot/cdrom/INSERT/. I've not done much testing, and although there are a few problems

1) at startup "cannot stat cdrom/isolinux/vmlinuz"

2) from a superuser's console, "reboot" generates an error "segmentation fault"

for the most part INSERT seems to be working.

-Tom

01 May 2006 23:30 heureka

Re: PXELinux

> Hi!

> I'm also interested in getting the

> details for PXE booting DSL. Please send

> me an email too.

Sorry, I mean PXE booting INSERT.

01 May 2006 23:03 heureka

Re: PXELinux
Hi!
I'm also interested in getting the details for PXE booting DSL. Please send me an email too.

23 Feb 2006 13:09 Tekit

Re: Love it
The NIC was a 3c905C, very common but just didn't work

Glenn

23 Feb 2006 01:35 Tekit

Re: PXELinux
Matthias

Your email address is marked private, can you please email me I've temp marked my details open,

Thanks