Projects / INSERT / Comments

Comments for INSERT

23 Feb 2006 01:10 matzmann

Re: Boot from USB
You can write to the stick but you cannot (easily) write to the INSERT filesystem (modifying it).
You have to mount the stick read-write like with:
'mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/usbdisk -o rw -t yourfs'.
Regards
Matthias

23 Feb 2006 01:07 matzmann

Re: virus scanning

> Am i correct that one can only scan

> files an not the whole drive?

What would you like to scan if not files?

You mean the MBR and boot sectors?

Looks like that cannot be cleaned with clamav:(

But for example you can always write a new mbr with 'install-mbr' or with grub.

Regards

Matthias

23 Feb 2006 00:58 matzmann

Re: Love it

> I love the idea and below are some

> comments for you

> 1. I downloaded 1.3.5a and 1.3.5 and

> when I used the usb-install and it fails

> at the Grub stage. I then downloaded

> 1.2.18 and it created the USB no

> problems.

> 2. Dell GX260 - no NIC support

usb-install was buggy. This should be fixed in v1.3.6.

What NIC (brand and make) is it?

23 Feb 2006 00:57 matzmann

Re: PXELinux

> I'm looking for a Linux virus scan

> solution for PXE boot that will allow us

> to scan and clean infected Windows

> systems with getting into windows . Can

> this project be converted to a 2 file

> system, The kernel and an image file ,

> like DSL.

Well, actually we do have an entry for INSERT in our PXE boot menu over here. That's no problem.

Please drop me an email if you like to know the details.

Regards

Matthias

11 Oct 2005 03:02 Tekit

PXELinux
I'm looking for a Linux virus scan solution for PXE boot that will allow us to scan and clean infected Windows systems with getting into windows . Can this project be converted to a 2 file system, The kernel and an image file , like DSL.

11 Oct 2005 02:57 Tekit

Love it
I love the idea and below are some comments for you

1. I downloaded 1.3.5a and 1.3.5 and when I used the usb-install and it fails at the Grub stage. I then downloaded 1.2.18 and it created the USB no problems.

2. Dell GX260 - no NIC support

10 Oct 2005 23:10 laoyotiao

virus scanning
Am i correct that one can only scan files an not the whole drive?

26 Sep 2005 13:52 hamel_g

system lockup with toram boot parameter
During a backup recovery, i realize there is a kernel issue.

If you read a big file greater than physical memory, the system consumes all buffer cache, then begins to use swap. I don't know why, but the system freeze immediatly after using swap file.

You can easily reproduce the problem with $ cat Hugefile >/dev/null

Combined with noswap parameter, the problem vanish.

Without toram parameter, all works fine.

Anyone has noticed this issue ?

04 Aug 2005 00:10 jjenate

Boot from USB

sooooooooooooooooo frustrating! i never could get insert installed on USB to boot. ugh!!

luckily i found a site that lets you buy the drive over the internet, which isn't very expensive. just got it (512 mb version) and it works awesome. i already put lots of mp3s on it and still have space left over. it boots most computers i tried, and works with windows files too.

the site is http://linuxusb.nfshost.com/ (http://linuxusb.nfshost.com/)

the only thing is i can't figure out how to write to the usb pen drive while booted in insert. maybe it isn't possible? has anyone else bought a usb thumb drive from that site and figured out how to write to the drive while booted in linux? i think maybe it mounts it read-only to boot, so it isn't possible. :( that is my only complaint, otherwise i love this thing and take it everywhere! (if i create a file in insert, then i just email it to myself since i can't write to usb)

-jack

03 Aug 2005 18:55 stoneguy

1.35a boot problems
Testing 3 different systems.

One boots fine.

One doesn't detect isolinux (old 64MB MMX system, but boots DamnSmall OK).

One gets isolinux disk error 10 AX=4280 drive EF. Mainly concerned about this one!