Projects / kbd / Comments

Comments for kbd

17 Sep 2003 07:30 immilev

kbd or console like tools for Windows?
Not closely related to this project, so please be forgiving of this post. I've been searching to no avail for tools like kbd or con-tools for Win2K. Would you guys know if any such exist? I have been happy with my LFS at home, but I am trying to make my life easier using Win2K (dugh) at work. Any pointers would be appreciated. Thanks!

11 Jul 2003 19:15 whyrph

Problems with kbd (and possibly with the kernel in general)
I'm hoping the kbd developer is paying attention here, because I haven't found a good way to get to him/her/them. Here's my problem:

I want to set up my virtual consoles in a grid pattern, rather than in a row. A very easy way to do this would be to just have a key set to Incr_Console 6 times (that would make an effective grid 6 columns wide). I've been trying to do this with loadkeys,but it won't let me set it. If I put "keycode 72 = Incr_Console Incr_Console" etc, it only does one Incr_Console, and only shows up as one on dumpkeys. If this could be fixed, I would greatly appreciate it.

Also . .while you can have a plain keycode run multiple actions, it seems that a keycode with a modifier can't. I'm guessing there's a kernel-side reason for this, and if so, is there a workaround?

27 Mar 2002 08:06 ydirson

Re: Replacement for kbd

> Well, this is no loger true. kbd is by
> far more uptodate than
> console-tools.

Not completely true. A number of console-tools feature are still not supported by kbd (eg. sfm fallbacks). I have not sync'd console-tools with kbd features for a long long time, so kbd has got new features of its own. Neither is a subset of the other any more at this time.

> I couldn't even contact
> console-tools maintainer
> to send him some data for macedonian
> users.

Sorry, there are a whole lot of submissions in my mailboxes. I forward to the Debian BTS (http://bugs.debian.org/console-data) when I find old ones, and some day there may be a new console-data release.

20 Feb 2002 21:15 damjan

Re: Replacement for kbd

> You may wish to check out The Linux
> Console Tools and the Linux Console Data
> as a replacement for kbd, for better
> support of the available console-driver
> features.

Well, this is no loger true. kbd is by far more uptodate than
console-tools. I couldn't even contact console-tools maintainer
to send him some data for macedonian users.

09 Apr 2001 02:46 balu

Re: Replacement for kbd

> You may wish to check out The Linux
> Console Tools and the Linux Console Data
> as a replacement for kbd, for better
> support of the available console-driver
> features.

Both console-tools and kbd have their advantages and disadvantages... C-tools is a split off of kbd and kbd is actually been more worked on. And kbd installs without any flaws on modern systems - C-tools made me some problems though...

30 Aug 1999 18:46 ydirson

Replacement for kbd
You may wish to check out The Linux Console Tools (http://freshmeat.net/appindex/1998/04/15/892659185.html) and the Linux Console Data (http://freshmeat.net/appindex/1999/04/15/924189261.html) as a replacement for kbd, for better support of the available console-driver features.