Projects / LILO / Comments

Comments for LILO

07 Mar 2003 14:16 johncoffman

Re: Odd booting problem.
The installation looks good to me. You are using "lba32" to access the full range of cylinders on your disk. Unfortunately, "lba32" requires that your BIOS support "LBA" (logical block addressing), which may not be turned on -- it is a BIOS setup option. The "40" is the hex error code returned from the disk access call. "40" == seek error, probably generated by LILO falling back to Cylinder:Head:Sector addressing, and generating a cylinder number greater than 1023. When you initially installed your system, the disk was not full, and everything was below cylinder 1023. But now the disk is filling up, and when the new map file was created, it lies above cylinder 1023. If you can turn "LBA" on in your hard disk BIOS setup, do so. If not, you will need to do one of two things: 1). Get a BIOS extender, such as EZ-BIOS or DiskManager (both are software) which adds the LBA support (EDD bios extensions), or 2). figure out how to reconfigure your disk so that /boot can be a small partition below the 1024 cylinder limit. /boot can be positioned within a Windows or DOS filesystem; just be sure it is below cylinder 1024.

07 Mar 2003 13:53 Radicalm16

Odd booting problem.
I'd compiled and installed lilo using:

# make && make install

then I ran lilo -v , and apparently at this poit all is ok.

but when the machine did reboot, this appeared on the screen:

LILO

L 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40

by the way this is my lilo.conf file

prompt

root=/dev/hda5

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.19
label=LFS
read-only
root=/dev/hda8

ps.

I tried to do this using also the lilo's version 22.2, the same thing happened but after a couple of second appearing 40s, a not ended pattern of Ls (one per line) did show up.

I fixed the boot using a bootdisk and runing lilo from inside Redhat (7.3) which has installed the 21.4 lilo's version.

Can anyone tell me what is happening? what I'm doing wrong???

Francisco.

04 Mar 2003 08:12 johncoffman

Re: boot on CD line?

First, no BIOS provides direct support for reading CD's in the fashion of floppy disks or hard disks. CD's never receive a BIOS device code.

However, CD's in the El Torito format are bootable, because part of the CD can be made to emulate a floppy disk. This is a function of your BIOS; and not all BIOS's support the El Torito Bootable CD format.
There are two papers at the following site on making a bootable CD:
One is a tutorial, and the other is the El Torito spec. The process starts with making a bootable floppy, then transferring the image to an El Torito CD.
'mkisofs' supports creating an ISO image of a CD in the El Torito format.

04 Mar 2003 00:33 brokenclock

boot on CD line?
I tried to use Lilo to have the choice to boot on CD just like on floppy. But it seems to be impossible. Could you tell me how to do this, or, if it is impossible, may I suggest you to make it possible?
I think it might be powerful because you could disable the BIOS automatic boot on CD, which is more secure.

Thanks

03 Mar 2003 09:12 wiliweld

"LI" error
Hello Family,

The issue is the system will boot FINE with the floppy but not from the standard startup UNLESS you softboot right after using the floppy..., then the computers LILO will work.

Booting cold without the floppy gives you the "LI" error unless you reboot after using the floppy.

This leads me to want to pipe the contents of the floppies data to the desktops MBR if that is possible, maybe a restore from the floppy to the mbr?

Thanks

23 Feb 2003 09:31 johncoffman

Re: Error 01 01...
As far as I can tell, neither the map file nor the second stage loader is on the /mnt partition. There is no /boot directory there, according to what you have said. I would suggest corresponding directly with the project admin, as much more information may be needed to diagnose your problem.

22 Feb 2003 14:31 bczech

Error 01 01...
Hi,

I am sorry to come up with that topic again, but I have been looking for a solution for a few hours, and was unable to find a solution.
I am working on a script for cloning Windows clients. Right now we are useing floppies to boot the kernel in order to start the clone process. In my new release I want to get rid of the need for floppies after the first cloning. Therefore my script creates an ext2 partition containing the kernel. It also extracts everything lilo needs into that partition. The script also creates the partition for Win2K (ntfs). It is doing all this in this order:
1. creates ntfs partition
2. creates and initalizes ext2 partition
3. writes an master image to the ntfs partition
4. mounts ext2 on /mnt
5. extracts kernel, /dev/hd*, /boot/* to /mnt
6. creates /mnt/etc/lilo.conf
7. runs "lilo -r /mnt"
8. unmounts /mnt

This is how my lilo.conf looks like:
lba32
boot=/dev/hda
install=/boot/boot-menu.b
map=/boot/map
default=Windows

image=/bzImage
label="Clone Suite"
append="root=/dev/nfs, ip=dhcp"
read-only
optional

other=/dev/hda1
label="Windows"

END OF lilo.conf

It worked before, but after a few tries it stopped working. The clients are all IDE. Right now I have two sorts of them:
1) Intel Pentium 4 2000 MHz, HDD: 40GB
2) Intel Pentium 2 350 MHz,HDD: 5GB

The ntfs partition's size is about 5GB.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance
Bernhard Czech

P.S.: Please excuse my bad English.

22 Feb 2003 01:54 snodx

Re: A lilo problem?
Hi,
Ya it will take some time for me before I can enter the RedHat forum mailing lists. I wanted to post the question there, thought I would check out with the guys here first.

By the way, I seem to be having trouble managing this account of mine at freshmeat. Whenever my mailbox is full I get this message here that "We encountered an error". So it may take me some time before I can respond to your posts. Please pardon me.

Hope to get back soon.

SNODX
> Many things can go wrong during the
> RedHat setup process. RedHat
> distributes a version of LILO which is 3
> years out of date, so I would say their
> support is tepid at best. I would
> suggest you contact RedHat with this
> installation problem. Not knowing what
> the installation program has written
> into the configuration file, little help
> can be given you. I suggest editing
> '/etc/lilo.conf' youself, and try
> reinstalling the boot loader by
> re-running /sbin/lilo.

21 Feb 2003 09:12 johncoffman

Re: A lilo problem?
Many things can go wrong during the RedHat setup process. RedHat distributes a version of LILO which is 3 years out of date, so I would say their support is tepid at best. I would suggest you contact RedHat with this installation problem. Not knowing what the installation program has written into the configuration file, little help can be given you. I suggest editing '/etc/lilo.conf' youself, and try reinstalling the boot loader by re-running /sbin/lilo.

20 Feb 2003 22:44 snodx

A lilo problem?
Greetings everybody,

FACTS:

PROCESSOR=Intel Celeron
HDD SIZE=36 GB (3 partitions 10GB+13GB+13GB)
RAM=128 MB
OPERATING SYSTEM CURRENTLY INSTALLED=Windows Millenium Edition
OPERATING SYSTEM TO BE INSTALLED=RedHat Linux Personal edition 8.0

This is the information to start with. Windows ME recognizes the 3 partitions as C drive, D drive and E drive (10GB=C:\, 13GB=D:\=E:\)

I insert the RedHat CD, go through the various options step-by-step (.i.e The Language, What is the Keyboard, The Mouse, what type of installation- Custom/Typical/Desktop/.... e.t.c). Finally I encounter the partition window. There are 3 partitioning tools that can be seen- Automatically partition, Partition using Disk Druid and fdisk.

I want to keep Windows ME too, so ignore Automatically partition. FDisk seems to be complicated, so I select Didk Druid.

Sure enough Disk Druid shows up 3 partitions, all of vfat type. I select the last one /dev/hda3 (E:\ drive in Windows language) allocate around 12.7 GB for an ext3 filesystem and the rest (around 256 MB) for a swap partition. I force the ext3 to be the PRIMARY partition. After the partition stuff comes the most important stage- bootloader.

I select Lilo and can see 2 options- Install bootloader in /dev/hda (MBR), Install in /dev/hda3. Do a quick thinking select /dev/hda.

After this I install RedHat successfully (ofcourse the 3rd partition is formatted for an ext3 drive), and after the successful installation the CD drive gets ejected automatically.

But what is this, at boot time I DONT see the lilo window. Instead Windows ME boots up!

Whew after all that installation RedHat does not show up! I repeat the above procedure excepting this time, I delete both the D:\ and E:\ drives (/dev/hda2 and /dev/hda3), combine them into one partition (/dev/hda2) repeat the process for ext3 and swap partitions- this time ext3 gets a larger size of the hard disk, same procedure for the bootloader, bootloader gets installed in /dev/hda's MBR. But after RedHat installation and restarting the system same problem RedHat or lilo dont show up, Windows ME boots up instead!

Last time I insert the CD invoke the RedHat rescue program and voila the RedHat command prompt can be seen.

I figure out that the whole problem is with the bootloader. Either the CD has a scratched surface whereby during installation lilo is not being written at all or else lilo is not getting written successfully into MBR.

I am unable to draw a proper diagram here but here is what roughly the scenario is: inside the MBR is lilo and inside lilo is the Windows boot script-
_________________
| | | Script | | |
| | |________| | |
| | | |
| |_____________| |
| |
|_________________|

lilo is not getting invoked and the Windows boot script gets initialized.

Any suggestions are welcome. Google searching is not yielding any results.

Thanx in advance.