Projects / tictactoe / Comments

Comments for tictactoe

04 Jun 2007 05:34 bluesmoon

Re: I am weasle episode.. Tic Tac Toe one in a row!
Nice to know. What do you mean by larger boards though? My version works with boards of infinite length (assuming you have the memory) as long as it's a positive odd integer - 0 being the only even number allowed.

04 Jun 2007 03:26 hewittjam

Re: I am weasle episode.. Tic Tac Toe one in a row!
maru batsu.eu (http://www.marubatsu.eu/index.php?type=new) uses this logic for tic tac toe but it is more developed and works on larger boards. Not sure if it should be called tictactoe though, probably maru batsu as the name of the domain suggests it.

18 Dec 2001 08:50 bluesmoon

Re: can't loose, but doesn't win when it can...

Well, the computer's move was correct, it's its next move that is wrong:

X O X

_ X _

_ _ O

when it should have put the X at 3,1, it puts it at 1,3.

I'm still tweaking the scores, and every post like this helps me make it better, so thank you. I'll add this to my test cases.

Philip

15 Dec 2001 20:09 liadb

can't loose, but doesn't win when it can...
I know, I'm bored, but I usually check all TicTacToe implementation using standard strategies. This one failed one of them. It seems that the software wants to draw, not to win! which I find a bit weird (but that just me :).

I'm reffering to the classic mistake: (computer is X)

- 0 -
- X -
- - -

Obviously, I lost, but the computer responded with:

X 0 -
- X -
- - -

Which means that I can draw the game again. Trying to put the 0 in different places but with the same strategy resulted the same (0 in 1/2, 2/1, 3/2, 2,3).

As I said, I was bored...

05 Oct 2001 06:43 bluesmoon

Re: I am weasle episode.. Tic Tac Toe one in a row!

> I did see that in the freshmeat listing.
> Its just having recently seen the
> episode i thought it would be amusing.

Darn. Must've missed that one.

Either way, with board size 0 or 1, run
tictactoe X, to invert the winner.

The ultimate goal would be to get it to
play itself, but first I'd have to
remove the explicit win and dont_lose
rules. For now, run it on two terminals,
one with tictactoe O, and the other
tictactoe X, pass moves from one to the
other manually (If Tomorrow Comes ;)

05 Oct 2001 05:45 noviota

Re: I am weasle episode.. Tic Tac Toe one in a row!
I did see that in the freshmeat listing. Its just having recently seen the episode i thought it would be amusing.

The only other amusing fact is if the board size is 0 the computer wins.

Interesting peice of software... Maybe you could get the computer to play itself?

05 Oct 2001 03:53 bluesmoon

Re: I am weasle episode.. Tic Tac Toe one in a row!
lol. Ya, that was expected. I guess I should have mentioned it in the
readme file, although it is mentioned in the project record on freshmeat:

an NxN sized board, where N is an odd number >= 3

So, I concede. My program can lose for boards of size 1. It will win if it plays first though.

05 Oct 2001 01:17 noviota

I am weasle episode.. Tic Tac Toe one in a row!
./tictactoe

Use --help flag to get help

_