Projects / Xfstt / Comments

Comments for Xfstt

30 Mar 2003 03:19 gregjbates

Re: xfstt: Cannot write to font database!
Yes, I had the same problem... it turns out that the xfstt install thingos don't create the directory /var/cache/xfstt sometimes....

Enter superuser mode, create the necessary directory and xfstt should would fine.

But the second problem (from cn) sounds much more complicated, sorry, don't have any idea's about that one

19 Mar 2003 16:57 arouncoumar

Compilation problem.. where can i get help
i m using solaris. downloaded the tar. ran the configure script. then when running 'make && make install', i get this error

AGNIFY=0 -g -O2 -c -o rafile.o `test -f 'rafile.cc' || echo './'`rafile.cc<br>
rafile.cc: In method `void RandomAccessFile::closeRAFile ()':<br>
rafile.cc:223: cannot convert `U8 *' to `char *' for argument `1' to<br>
rafile.cc:223: `munmap (char *, unsigned int)'<br>
*** Error code 1<br>
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `rafile.o'<br>
Current working directory /tmp/xfstt-1.4/libfstt<br>
*** Error code 1<br>
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `all-recursive'<br>
Current working directory /tmp/xfstt-1.4<br>
*** Error code 1<br>
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `all'<br>

02 Mar 2003 19:37 cnliou

Re: xfstt: Cannot write to font database!
I have the same problem in Slackware 7 (kernel upgraded to 2.4.20), too.

I don't know if the problem relates to my locale error. When I typed "locale", I get:

"locale: relocation error: locale: symbol __collate_element_hash, version GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference"

16 Jan 2003 12:35 theplace

xfstt: Cannot write to font database!
More of a cry for help than a comment. On RH7.3, I've followed the INSTALL instructions up to
# xfstt --sync
but it says
xfstt: Cannot write to font database!
xfstt: sync failed
So: what font database? What user is it running as, and where does it fail to write? I assume this is a permissions issue... but I could be wrong.

09 Sep 2002 20:57 hahnerd

Re: xfstt + Linux 2.4.X = Not good
I have tried the below using Redhat 7.2.
I tried both unix and inet with the local ip.
it did not like port 7101. I tried at the command line entering xfstt --port 7000 and it did not complain.
I entered /usr/X11R6/bin/xfstt & in the rc.local file.
But it does not seem to work. Can you give me some more ideas please.

> This information isn't correct. If you
> put in the XF86Config the next line:
> FontPath "unix/:7101". Your X server
> will not be able to work correctly.
> Because the the "UNIX" protocol does not
> communicate with the X Server. This
> problem is probably caused for a problem
> or conflict with SOCKET of kernel 2.4.X
> or later. If you want to use XFSTT
> correctly, you need to put in the
> XF86Config file the next line: FontPath
> "inet/127.0.0.1:7101". In this line,
> 127.0.0.1, is the IP of localhost, and
> 7101, is the port used by XFSTT. If
> you're running xfstt in a diferent port
> or IP, then change for your preferences.
> And if you're using WDM or XDM to run
> your X Server, you must restart your
> computer. In the other hand, if you're
> using STARTX, then all affluent wrath.
> XFSTT is the best TrueType font server,
> and is easy to configure. Pardon by my
> ingles, since I am Spanish and the
> languages do not occur me very well. if
> somebody have some question... e-mail
> k_mirror@wanadoo.es

30 Jul 2002 20:27 mirrork2

xfstt + Linux 2.4.X = Not good
This information isn't correct. If you put in the XF86Config the next line: FontPath "unix/:7101". Your X server will not be able to work correctly. Because the the "UNIX" protocol does not communicate with the X Server. This problem is probably caused for a problem or conflict with SOCKET of kernel 2.4.X or later. If you want to use XFSTT correctly, you need to put in the XF86Config file the next line: FontPath "inet/127.0.0.1:7101". In this line, 127.0.0.1, is the IP of localhost, and 7101, is the port used by XFSTT. If you're running xfstt in a diferent port or IP, then change for your preferences. And if you're using WDM or XDM to run your X Server, you must restart your computer. In the other hand, if you're using STARTX, then all affluent wrath. XFSTT is the best TrueType font server, and is easy to configure. Pardon by my ingles, since I am Spanish and the languages do not occur me very well. if somebody have some question... e-mail k_mirror@wanadoo.es

30 Jul 2002 20:22 mirrork2

Re: xfstt + Linux 2.4.x = no good
This information isn't correct. If you put in the XF86Config the next line:
FontPath "unix/:7101".
FontPath "inet/127.0.0.1:7101".
XFSTT is the best TrueType font server, and is easy to configure.

if somebody have some question... e-mail
k_mirror@wanadoo.es

03 Feb 2002 21:47 mobilec

Re: xfstt + Linux 2.4.x = no good

> FYI: XFree86 4.x.x supports ttf fonts
> natively, so this program gets
> obsolete

Unless you're using netscape or gimp etc which work _much_ better with xfstt.

10 Sep 2001 22:22 abo

Re: xfstt + Linux 2.4.x = no good

> FYI: XFree86 4.x.x supports ttf fonts
> natively, so this program gets
> obsolete

Does this mean ttf fonts can be served and used with a normal xfs under XFree86 4.x.x? Being able to use localy installed ttfonts is not the same as using remote fonts from a font server (I think).

09 Sep 2001 20:13 madass