For scoop (Patrick Lenz if I recall?)
Please allow me to elaborate a bit / sum it up:
1. new interface does not count with text browsers of *any* kind (lynx, links, etc.), being too graphics-oriented. This is a SERIOUS REGRESSION that needs fixing. Note that more than anywhere else, open/free source community people will want to use text browsers to browse freshmeat, be that from a router shell or programatically. I personally use Lynx and am missing old interface layout heavily. Please try any text-oriented browser yourself to see how bad it is there.
Also note that many people have built scripts around old layout. New interface effectively renders them useless (and I'm not talking about forcing everyone to use XML here).
PLEASE PUT AT LEAST BACK A *CHOICE* TO SELECT TEXT BROWSER-FRIENDLY INTERFACE.
2. giving 1 month from first announcing a total layout rewrite to final switching to it, is a WAY SHORT TIME, especially considering for how long the old one was there. I am just an occasional searcher so I have not visited FM last month. I believe a lot of people behaves the same way and will feel upset about these changes as I am, and there sure is a lot of those who would have substantial feedback if they'd only knew about such a planned change (myself being typical example).
PLEASE ANNOUNCE CHANGES AT LEAST SEVERAL MONTHS AHEAD, IF THEY MEAN DRASTIC CHANGES IN UI.
ALSO, ONLY-FOR-REGISTERED FEEDBACK PERIOD OF 1 MONTH TIME PERIOD IS TOO SHORT AND NEEDS TO BE LONGER.
3. New interface, or at least project detail, seems to miss a lot of what was in the old one. For example, license classification, status of search match (exact match or more matches), Author (!!!), to name a few. Or I'm just blind. AGAIN A SERIOUS REGRESSION.
Indeed there are some newly introduced entries I guess (downloading via BitTorrent?), but to me, they dont seem to outweigh lost ones.
4. Not everyone is keen on iconifying text item description. For example, now one has to remember what icon means what: this one is meant for downloading entries, that for original website access, etc. [tried in Firefox]. I believe the older approach has been cleaner in that everyone can immediately what a given entry in project detail means, based on how it is named. Now one has to remember icons. Also see (1).
5. It would be wise to include links to the 6 articles you refer to in your text in whose you claim to have explained whereabouts and reasons for layout changes. It is not really making life of casual viewer easier as they need to search for them.
Thanks for your time & patience.