Eventhough this post is really old I will follow up my rant above by saying we are running sql-ledger on a gentoo linux server for 2 years with no problems. It is used by windows, mac os x and linux workstations with no problems. The paid support is very good and priceless. Unfortunatly there is not a working ebuild to keep up with the many updates using "emerge" gentoo's package manager portage the installer script works very well and the project is still under rapid development.
Appgen my books pro
Appgen is absoutly the worst accounting software I have ever seen in my entire life. I been involved in running 2 businesses over the past 10 years. I have attended classes at the University of Pennsylvania Whatron school of buisness. I use accountig software every day.
"you would have been better off hireing me for an enitre year (for $90K)to build you an program from source code than use appgen" - our computer guy
We love supporting Linux and the open software movement.
Appgen dosent feel the same way.
We went with the advice of our linux guru and tried out appgen for 30 days. It wasent long before the 30 days was up and all we had time to do was test out some sample data.
We made the mistake of paying U.S $250 for MYbooks pro.
My books pro has the following flaws:
1) It has no prefrences, for example
a) There is no way to turn off data entry feilds that are never used, making the end user have to hit return all the time over blank feilds.
b) There is no way according to appgen representives to adjust an entry feild cursor to start in the ones place ( 1.0) as an entry it only starts in the .01's place.
Great feature if you are a toll booth or a soda pop machiene.
c) How about this one there is now way to set up default templates. Example you have to select a state every time you set up a customer. What if you never go outside 1 or 2 states to work? Sorry no way without hiring an programer to set up a default state.
d) Ever have to enter zip codes? In appgen you do every time. There is no way to select between 5 or 6 regulary used zip codes.
e) Have your own invoices alredy and just need the printer print on them? Sorry hire a programer with appgen
f) Tried to print checks sorry for get about it hire a programer.
2) There is no way to get the program to print your companys name on an invoice without hiring an appgen
3) There is now way to lay out whear data is printed like in quick books or any other accounting you can get for $250.00 program
4) Appgen offers no customer support for free
5) Appgen is only on the east coast and has east coast office hours. If you are a west coast company and appgens own java script crashes (wich it does) sorry you have got to call between 5:30am and 2pm PST.
6) Appgen will not send you a usre manual hard copy, older non programer accountants like hard copy manuals. They sell the manual seperatly for $20 each.
7) The only way to adjust an invoice is to viod it.
8) Appgen has no interface to deal with service companys that have manual sales for example;
Lets say you are an electrical contracting company and you are installing network cable in freashmeat headquarters for a new desk. Your service person writes down her hours and materials on a carbon copy company invoice, bills the customer on the spot and leaves.
In appgen you have to manualy enter a "New" invoice, then you have to print it, then you have to enter recieving a payment as well as setting up a new customer. Instead of being able to check a box on an invoice that says manual sale or alredy paid and having the program show that the invoice was alredy collected and paid and doesnt need to be printed!
9) Appgen will not work with (i.e answer questions over the phone) your in house computer people unless they pay them.
10) Because appgen requires so much "customization" it crashes alot and wipes out data.
Appgen is the kind of company that linux people need to warn newbe's about.
If anyone would like to sujest a better program we are looking.